But I realized I now have a belt sander. I just flipped that thing on and ran over both sides of the glued frame until they were flat. I didn't take any wood off this way, I just leveled the surfaces. No more tedious filing and blisters. There was quite a bit of formaldehyde based glue dust flying around so I made sure to have good breathing protection. This made cleaning up the frame a snap. After it was leveled, I used the electric plane to get it down to the right width. Here's the cleaned up frame.
After that I finished up the last couple gussets for frame #5 and laid the entire frame out on the jig backboard I have the centerlines drawn on. I planned out how I was going to put pressure on all the joints and glued it up right before bed. Here's a shot of the setup.
| Fuselage Parts Menu | Home