July 2, 2005

I spent most of the day today working on plane stuff. The two main things I did was cut out some molds for gluing more frames and actually gluing the bracing and gussets to the previously finished frame.

I'll keep working on the c-section laminations because those are the easy ones to do. I'll have to re-think my procedure when I have to glue around an entire closed shape, but first things first. The next frame I want to make is frame #3. Frame #3 is actually two c-sections, top half and bottom half, glued together near the horizontal centerline. I cut out the top and bottom molds from the plywood as well as the other mold I had drawn on the same piece of plywood (frame #10). I won't get to frame #10 for a bit but I figured I might as well cut it out as long as I was working on the other one I needed. Here is a shot of me after I finished a cut for the frame #10 mold and another shot of all the aftermath.

The last few days I had been preparing all the internal bracing and gussets for the last frame I glued. Today was finally the day to glue it all down. This was the first time I worked with the Aerolite glue aside from the test block. I must admit, I spent a lot of "think" time while getting ready to glue. I marked and positioned everything ahead of time. Then I added some blocks screwed to the backboard to help position things fast. I measured and re-measured. Practiced setting things down in order, remeasured, trial-clamped things down, remeasured... Since Aerolite is a two part glue (resin goo on one part to be joined, catalyst acid on the other part to be joined), the last thing I had to do was make a process in my head of what surfaces would have what part of the glue and what order I would apply glue to which pieces. It may sound over-complicated but I just wanted to be methodical so there would be no surprises when I had acid and resin goo all over everything. After a quick scuff sand of the surfaces to be joined (recommended by the glue) I finally got to the gluing.

Here is the clamped, positioned mess while the glue was drying.

Again, I scraped off the half dried glue that seeped out to make clean up easier. I've found that a good container for resin or catalyst are the bottoms of leftover water bottles which we seem to have a lot of around here. After that structure dried completely, I glued the gussets on.

Here is the finished piece. Perty ain't it?

The only other preparation needed for this piece is to add a 1.2 mm plywood cover to one face of the frame from the top brace down. Just try to imagine the plywood cover the same shape of the frame filling in the bottom of the circle up to the top horizontal brace. I probably won't be adding this until later when I get some 1.2 mm plywood.

  |   Fuselage Parts Menu   |   Home