May 16, 2005

I spent the weekend laying down 3 frames on one sheet of what was supposed to be 0.5 inch plywood. That's what I bought but after I got it home I saw the writing on the side labeling it as 15/32". Close enough for a jig I guess, it will still do what I need it to do. I also bought some 0.75" plywood which I will use to secure the jigs to as I do the gluing. I'm having some trouble because the plywood came pretty warped. I really need it to be flat so I'm trying to force out the warp with water and weight. If I can't get the warp out in the next couple days, I'll return it.

Much of the effort in laying out the frames is drawing accurate grid lines. I decided not to use grid paper to do this due to errors possibly caused by humidity or other errors on the paper. This might be a little extreme but I'm more comfortable with the curves drawn on the actual plywood. Fortunately, since multiple frames were done on this one plywood sheet, grid lines could be reused in many cases, reducing chance for error and lightening the workload. Here's a shot of frames 7, 9, and 12 laid out, inverted again for your viewing pleasure.

Frame 12 is actually the base of the forward fin spar. This helps integrate the tail section with the fuselage. I'm not even sure if the wood for frame 12 will be in the fuselage kit. It might be with the tail kit. I'll probably have this jig around for a while.

  |   Fuselage Parts Menu   |   Home