November 3, 2008
I finally glued on the leading edge skin with a helping hand from Stephanie. By now the process was relatively simple after all the planning. The one trick was making sure the skin was pressed all the way down at the top while lacing the innertubes. The method I used was only possible with a helping pair of hands to position and hold things along the way. If I did it again, I would probably only clamp the side boards along the spar instead of all the way up to where the leading edge curve started. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.
Later on, I worked on marking off the elevator leading edge tip skins for varnishing. This time, I went with the upside-down tape method. It worked pretty well again. Just have to make sure the alignment pins are in the right spot before you press down. After that, I took them inside to varnish.
Empennage Assembly Menu